No one intends to get behind on their bills. You could be dealing with unexpected expenses such as a car repair, unexpected health bills, or another life-altering event. We understand what you are going through. Unfortunately, debt collectors become successful by filing lawsuits and utilizing intimidation tactics.
Cavalry Portfolio Services lawsuits can be intimidating and financially devastating. If Cavalry Portfolio Services has sued you, it is important to note that you have rights as a consumer. You need a debt defense attorney to advocate on your behalf and advise you through this process. Trust the experienced attorneys at Ciment Law Firm, PLLC, Texas Consumer Protection, who focus on debt-collection lawsuits. Give them a call today at 281-937-3949.
Let’s Recap: Who is Cavalry Portfolio Services?
Cavalry Portfolio Services is an enormous debt buying company. They buy debt from credit card companies and banks. After the debt has aged, Cavalry buys the debt from the credit card company or bank at an extremely cheap rate. Once they own your account, they will come after the full debt (plus any late and overdraft fees, attorney fees, and interest) with their vast resources. At this point, they start collection calls to get the money as fast as they can.
One of our recent clients told us his story: “Cavalry claimed to have purchased a debt I allegedly owed from Citibank. The only paperwork they sent in their collection efforts was the last statement on my credit card billing cycle. I had tried to ask for validation of the debt but only received the last billing statement. That’s when I hired Daniel Ciment. I knew I needed help because Cavalry was suing me for a debt they couldn’t prove I owned.”
We hear stories like this every day. Debt collection companies like Cavalry purchase so much debt that often, all they receive is a spreadsheet of data with just your name, number, and the amount of debt you owe. Once they file a lawsuit, Cavalry has the burden of proof for the following:
- They own your debt
- The debt amount is correct
- Your information in the lawsuit is correct
- The statute of limitations hasn’t passed
If Cavalry Portfolio Services can’t meet the burden of proof, then there is a good chance your lawsuit can and will be dismissed.
Why Did I Get A Pre-Legal Notification?
The answer is to scare you into engaging the debt collector without understanding your options or rights. Cavalry Portfolio Services does NOT want to have to spend the time and money to sue you. They’d rather scare you into making their life easier by picking up the phone, calling them, and paying them in full.
What Do I Do Now That Cavalry Portfolio Services Is Suing Me?
If Cavalry has already served you with a citation, we understand how terrifying it can be. You have a limited amount of time to respond, so no matter how panicked you feel, do NOT ignore the citation or try to take this on alone.
If you do not respond, three things will happen:
- Cavalry Portfolio Services will likely file a “request for default,” which means that you no longer have the ability to respond to the lawsuit and defend yourself. Once you have defaulted, you will not be able to disagree with the amount of money you feel you owe.
- Cavalry Portfolio Services may then ask the court to enter a default judgment against you.
- Finally, Cavalry Portfolio Services can enforce the judgment against you by garnishing the money in your bank accounts, levying, or liens. These actions will also show up on your credit report.
Don’t wait until it’s too late! Call Ciment Law Firm, PLLC, Texas Consumer Protection, at 281-937-3949. If Cavalry Portfolio Services is pursuing you, our debt assistance attorneys are here to help. Whether it’s Cavalry, Midland Credit Management, or any other debt collector, let us put our 3-Step Proven Process to work for you.
How Do I Hire the Right Debt Defense Attorney?
Don’t try to deal with Cavalry alone — or worse, ignore the lawsuit in the misguided belief it will just go away. Ciment Law Firm, PLLC, Texas Consumer Protection, is on your side.
When you hire our experienced attorneys, we will review the evidence. With a copy of your credit report, we can determine:
- Errors or omissions in the paperwork
- Illegal credit agreement
- Improper summons
- The statute of limitations has expired
- Illegal debt collection practices
- If the payment was made, or a payment arrangement is in effect
In addition to reviewing your credit report, we will meet with you to see if Cavalry has violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Debt collection companies such as Cavalry Portfolio Services cannot do the following while trying to collect a debt:
- Contact anyone who doesn’t own the debt
- Call before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m. unless you have given them permission to do so
- Cause your phone to ring for extended periods or make repeated phone calls
- Contact you at work if you have asked them not to
- Make false statements to collect the debt or misrepresent the amount you owe
- Make threats of harming your credit or wage garnishment
- Send collection letters that appear to be from a court or government office
- Threaten to arrest you if you do not pay the debt
- Threaten to take legal action against you
- Use obscene or profane language
Call us today; we will build a legal strategy specifically for you and your situation.
Contact Ciment Law Firm, PLLC, Texas Consumer Protection
At Ciment Law Firm, PLLC, Texas Consumer Protection, we focus on bankruptcy, debt collection defense, and consumer protection. We invite you to join our Texas Debt Defense & Protection Facebook Group for more information. We created this group for current and past clients of the Ciment Law Firm, PLLC, Texas Consumer Protection, and Texans struggling with their debt and looking for solutions. If you’re dealing with debt, were recently laid off, are behind on your house or car payments, or have been sued for a debt, we encourage you to join our group and get the support you need.
If you’re ready to start your journey to debt and credit freedom now, contact us at 281-937-3949 or complete our online form to schedule a free case evaluation.
Copyright© 2021. Ciment Law Firm PLLC. All Rights Reserved.
The information in this document is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Ciment Law Firm, PLLC
24275 Katy Freeway, Suite 400
Katy, TX 77494
The post Cavalry Portfolio Services Sent Me A Pre-Legal Notification: What Do I Do Now? appeared first on Ciment Law Firm.