What Happens After a Car Accident With a Minor?

Car accidents are dangerous situations no matter who is involved. These accidents can also be fatal or cause serious injuries that alter your day-to-day life. But what happens if the at-fault party is a minor? Does this change your ability to seek compensation for your injuries?

Car Accidents Are a Leading Cause of Death for Teens

According to the CDC, motor vehicle accidents are the second leading cause of death for teens. And in 2019, almost 2,400 teens aged 13-19 were killed and 258,000 were injured. Those most at-risk include teen males between the ages of 16 and 19 as well as teens driving with teen passengers and newly licensed drivers.

The CDC also mentions the risk factors of these accidents, including inexperience, nighttime driving, distracted driving, speeding and alcohol use.

Texas Teen Driving Laws Aim to Prevent Car Accidents

In Texas, teens receive their provisional license before they turn 18 that comes with restrictions that prevent minors from:

  • Driving with more than one passenger who is also under the age of 21
  • Driving between midnight and 5:00 a.m. unless coming from a school function or work
  • Driving while using any mobile device

Unfortunately, even with these laws in place, accidents involving minors still occur across the state.

What Happens After a Car Accident With a Minor?

After an accident with a minor, you’ll need to follow the same steps you would for any other accident. For example, call the authorities and ensure you receive medical attention for your injuries.

If the teen driver is at fault, you’ll need to reach out to their insurance company for compensation for your injuries. This is the key difference in these accidents as the minor driver will most likely be covered under their parents’ insurance.

If the parents’ insurance does not cover all the costs associated with your injuries, you’ll likely need to pursue a legal claim. However, you will need to prove that the parents are liable for the accident. This job is best suited for an experienced car accident attorney.

Car Accident? The Attorneys at Ted B. Lyon & Associates Can Help.

Whether you’re a teen driver injured in an accident or an adult involved in an accident with a minor, we’re here to help you. Don’t try to handle the aftermath of your accident alone. Give Ted B. Lyon & Associates a call today at 866-503-4864  or send us a message.

The post What Happens After a Car Accident With a Minor? appeared first on Ted B. Lyon & Associates.