If you work in the maritime industry but do not work offshore, recovering compensation after an on-the-job accident may involve filing a claim under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LHWCA). Here, maritime accident attorney David Willis answers some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about compensation claims under the LHWCA: Am I Eligible to For Compensation Under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act? In order to be eligible for compensation under the LHWCA, you must qualify as a longshore or harbor “employee.” Those who are covered under the LHWCA include: Longshoremen Harbor workers Shipbuilders and repairmen Shipbreakers Other employees involved in longshoring operations In order to qualify for LHWCA benefits, you must also have suffered a job-related injury. However, since the LHWCA provides “no-fault” benefits, you do not need to prove that your employer is to blame for your injury in order to file a claim. What Costs Does the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act Cover? The LHWCA covers injured employees’ medical needs and a portion of their lost income. Specifically, if you have a claim under the statute, you are entitled to: (i) full coverage for all necessary medical care related to your on-the-job injury, and (ii) income benefits calculated as two-thirds of your weekly wage. How Much Compensation Can I Receive Under the LHWCA? The specific amount of compensation you can receive under the LHWCA depends on your medical needs and your current wage. It also depends on how long your injury prevents you from working. […]

The post FAQs: How Much Can I Recover Under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LHWCA)? appeared first on Jones Act.