If you work in Florida’s maritime industry, you have probably heard about the Jones Act. This law, formally known as the Merchant Marine Act of 1920, provides two ways for maritime workers to seek compensation when they get injured on the job. As maritime accident lawyer David P. Willis explains, the Jones Act applies to many types of maritime workers. If you have been injured on the job, you should speak with a lawyer to determine if you are entitled to Jones Act compensation. Who Does the Jones Act Protect? The Jones Act does not protect all maritime workers. Instead, it only applies to those who are classified as “seamen.” You are classified as a seaman if you work in Florida’s maritime industry and: You work onboard a vessel “in navigation;” You spend a “significant amount of time” working onboard the vessel (typically 30 percent or more of your work hours); and, Your job duties “contribute to the work of the vessel.” Ship crewmembers, officers, and captains will generally qualify for Jones Act protection, but these are by no means the only types of workers who can file Jones Act claims. Employees in all occupations who work on ships, boats, barges, floating cranes, floating rigs, motorized platforms, and other movable vessels and structures will typically be eligible to file claims as well. If you do not qualify as a seaman, this does not mean that you are ineligible for compensation. It merely means that you must file your claim under […]

The post Can I File a Jones Act Claim if I Live in Florida? appeared first on Jones Act.